Backlinks are essentials for generating organic traffic from search engines. Don’t start your link building campaign using link exchanges. They are the most in effective methods and search engines frown manual as well as automated link exchanges.
While there are many ways to build incoming links to your site or blog posts, using forums for generating backlinks is one of the proven method. Following the seven steps discussed below, you will be able to start your forum-based link building campaign without using any reciprocal links.
1. Create the right mind set. Don’t start your campaign by spamming every forum you come across during your online hours. You will soon find your link building campaign falling apart. People will pile on you hateful comments. You will also loose the privilege of using the forums.
Forums are for sharing and giving. Create a mind set of giving your knowledge to others for free without expecting anything in return. As a result, you will receive wonderful rewards indirectly.
2. Find a few popular forums related to your niche. Use Google search using the keywords forum and your topic. Pick half a dozen forums from the search results and visit each one to assess their popularity.
When looking for a forum to join you want to find ones that are popular, so look for those with a decent number of members. You also need to make sure those members are active. Go into one of the more popular forums categories and scan down the list of threads to see when the last posting was made. If you see a lot of posts made in the last 24 hours, you’ve found a forum with lots of active members.
Make sure that the forums you have found accept signatures in the postings. Jump into one of the more popular threads on the forum. Scroll down and look at the posts to see if anyone has a signature showing at the bottom of their post. The signature will have links to the poster’s site.
3. Sign up and setup your signature. Sign up with two forums and create a profile. In the profile page, setup your signatures with links to your website. Use keywords or phrase related to your site for the anchor texts of the link. If it is possible, make the anchor text bold. Never use the URL for the anchor texts.
4. Join a webmaster forum dedicated to online marketing and search engine optimization, like digitalpoint forum. By regularly reading these types of forums, you will learn new online marketing and search engine optimization techniques. Make it a point to visit at least one forum a day and post at least two messages. Don’t post meaningless messages, like ‘thank you’, ‘great post’, etc. Provide some insights.
5. Once a week, create at least one new thread in the appropriate sub-forum. Use a catchy but relevant title to grab others attention to your topic. Ask thought provoking questions so that the discussions will benefit the community. Share your knowledge by posting some insightful thoughts in the form of articles backed up by relevant links. Respond to others who post comments to your threads but don’t use ‘thank you’ messages. Don’t promote your own links.
6. Don’t send unsolicited private messages to promote your ventures. Send unsolicited private messages when you feel that the message is not appropriate for the consumption of the entire community.
7. Forums are for building community and rapports with others. Don’t offend others and exhibit arrogant behaviors. Stay cool and respond politely even if someone initiates a flame war.